Skip to main content

So, this is home


I love this picture of Maggie and Jones on the beach at Hopeman, it is my favourite place to blow away the cobwebs, each fish and chips and watch dolphins. Yes, we have dolphins on the Moray Coast, they can be found at tide turn in the summertime as they make their way to Spey Bay to munch on fish. The sea around here is so alive with whales, dolphins, seals and of course people. I am never shocked to see people with their blue bodies take to the water at the first sign of sunshine, even at just 14 degrees the sea was full of people splashing about, shivering, but happy.  Hardy people these Northern Scots as the sea is usually freezing, though I am told Moray is warmed by the Gulf stream, it also has its own micro climate, due to its location. The map on the weather programme will show ice, snow, rain, yet there is usually a little gap where we live that manages to escape the worse of it.

It makes for a beautiful place, mountains and forests, woods and beaches, lochs and rivers and the sea. I love living in this place. Our nearest motorway is all the way South near Perth, very few factories, except for distilleries keep the air clean, the roads not too busy and pollution very low.

The lack of large towns and cities mean a lot of Black sky, this means star gazing is amazing, the Milky Way can be seen clearly, shooting stars abound and the joy of a Northern Lights sky is such awe inspiring. How can I not feel blessed to live here?  Don't get me wrong, I am a passionately patriotic Welsh woman, but my heart lives in this place.




This is Lossiemouth Beach, another of our lovely sandy places, in the summer this beach has visitors who come to stay in the local caravan park, locals, and people out for the day, and me and Mr T flock to it to eat ice cream cones sat waiting for the dolphins to arrive.  There are Osprey's in the estuary the other side of the sand dunes, they come in like Apache helicopters making the gulls, oystercatchers and sandpipers take off in a raucous chattering, only the heron fronts it out. The Osprey swoop into the river catching fish to the delight of the onlookers.  We sit here with our fish and chips on a Friday night enjoying the free show.  Forget Sea World and the like, this is seeing nature at its very best.

The noise of the Typhoon jets as they do circuits of take off and land from nearby RAF Lossiemouth adds to the spectacle. Such a small town, so many wonderful things to see and not a funfair in sight. Who needs a merry go round when nature provides all you need to enjoy yourself.

This is where we live and now call home and we love it.  We first lived here in the early 1990's when Mr T was at RAF Lossiemouth and we loved it, it felt like home from the start. When he left the RAF we knew we wanted to move back and live here forever and so began our new life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just another old fashioned love story

When I was little, that's younger not smaller, my Mam and Dad always seemed to be either in the throes of an argument, starting one or not speaking after having one.  When they had a row, my Mam would take herself off to the parlour and get her old Jones sewing machine out and make me clothes. Now, my Mam was a wonderful cook but a seamstress? nope, not on your Nellie. In the absence of fabric, she would root about and often ended up cutting up old curtains or a bedspread and fashion me something to wear.  The resulting clothing bore no resemblance to the lovely frocks Julie Andrews made from curtains in The Sound of Music, if they had sleeves I ended up looking like I was on a slant, and had to lean to one side to move my arms, she never managed sleeves very well.  On one occasion she decided to make me a beach tunic so I could wear it and not get sunburned.  I am a redhead, I have never, ever done sun very well and always, but always end up a very bright red, if I was a colour on

The little voice in my head

The little voice in my head that is my conscience, even when I would like it to be quiet. I have this little voice in my head a bit like Jimmany Cricket and Pinnochio, the one that when I am going to do something or decide something says, hang on, wait a minute if you do that, then all you have said about the other is hypocritical, can you live with that Missy? (the voice calls me Missy at these times). In this instance it is the General Election quandary I am in at the moment. I belong to our local Labour Party, I have joined every local Party when I moved house, I have been an active member, not just a supporter on elections, but always, the lobbying, the not so popular times, the leaflet drops, even when I would rather stay at home.  I don't support my Party's Leader, I love the manifesto in much the same way I love all good news and wish lists. It almost feels like the Party has sat down with a catalogue of good things we all want and need and has gone, I&

Welcome to the family

While our family photo's are rare, we would have put the Addams Family to shame, not that we all wore weird black outfits and my Dad certainly didn't rock a pinstripe suit and pencil, moustache.  The thought of my Mum and Dad doing the tango is just so far out of my experience it boggles my mind.  No, we looked, to the outside World as perfectly normal, however, the things we got up to when we were bored is a little odd. Sunday afternoons, especially rainy day ones, usually saw us all bored.  We had stuffed our faces on dinner and pudding, dishes done and a bag of sweets for us all,  The afternoon film was usually left unwatched while me and my dad sat doing the broadsheet crossword, me doing the checking for answers in the encyclopedia, I mean, who really knows names of obscure lakes and rivers in the Andes?  No Google then, just heaps of books everywhere, including a really old medical one that had graphic pictures of smallpox that I had written Trevor by the side of i