Skip to main content
It's New Year's Eve, so a goodbye to 2016 and a huge Hello to 2017, I love New Year's Eve. The chance to have a brand, spankingly new year to dream to plan and to be happy.  I am hoping for new medication to make living with my awful disease easier.

I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD), which is Lupus, Scleroderma, Raynaud's, Sjorgen's and Polymiositis all wrapped up in one huge hurty package.  Some people with MCTD don't have all these and some have it at different levels, trust me to get the lot and at times it is pretty bad.  To top that, I have Fibromyalgia, degenerative Arthritis in my spine after a car accident and Bechet's Disease. Phew, no wonder I get knackered so much.

All these diseases have inflammation, fatigue and pain as a symptom.  For me, the inflammation causes swelling around my joints, my connective tissue is hard, bit like it should be a chamois leather mine is like a dried up chamois leather, so stiffness and yet more god damned pain. Mine affects my organs, so if around my heart I get pericarditis, pain and irregular heartbeats, lungs I get Pleurisy, pancreas, pancreatitis and so on. The Bechet's causes ulcers where you have mucus membrane. so, eyes, nose, mouth  in your pants, on your skin. They hurt like hell, all this coupled with fatigue.

At times it feels like an endless world of pain and fatigue, months of not feeling you can get out of bed, and losing days with pain, which is intense. BUT, i have found what helps me is to try and distract myself. I liken the pain as like being an orchestra on full volume. If I don't find a way to turn that volume down, life would be unbearable, so I learn new things, I craft, I teach myself to play instruments, I would sing, but my vocal cords have been affected.



I thank whomever for where I live, my house is my safe place, I have such wonderful views and spend hours watching the birds from my window. We have feeders by each, so I get to take photographs, watch them bringing their babies to the feeders and trying to stop the cat nabbing them for a crunchy lunchy.

I would love to have a bit of relief from pain, I am now resigned to having to use a wheelchair, not just for going out with the dogs, I need one for indoors too, but that's OK, if it gives me more freedom, then it is good. Just have to not concentrate on the negative. 
I am writing this blog as a distraction, a way of keeping in touch with friends who are all over the world and to, hopefully, help people to understand chronic, enduring pain and chronic disease.  I hope it doesn't end up one big pity party, that really is not my way.

We'll see, if it gets too bleh, then off with its head!!  I am going to start 2017 busy keeping a daily journal.  One of my interests is geneaology, I have managed to get back to the 14C and while it is nice to know the names of my ancestors, I know very little about who they were. So, I thought, I'll write a journal and hope that future descendants get to know the old bat in the family tree that is me.

So, enough for today, just laying the foundations for this blog, it will get not so drawn out, just putting down the concrete, so to speak.

Have the best New Year, we are spending it indoors, just me and he and the animals. A T Bone steak, chips and mushrooms, followed by chocolate pudding and strawberry custard, as requested by Mr T. Then slobbing in front of the telly, Hootenanny, champagne at midnight and off to bed.  Oh back in the day I would never have believed my New Year's celebrations would be so sedate. But we will dance, just he and me, we will be outside watching fireworks at midnight and so the old year slopes off and the new one comes bounding in.  Super excited at what it holds.

Have a lovely night and a great start to 2017 xxxxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just another old fashioned love story

When I was little, that's younger not smaller, my Mam and Dad always seemed to be either in the throes of an argument, starting one or not speaking after having one.  When they had a row, my Mam would take herself off to the parlour and get her old Jones sewing machine out and make me clothes. Now, my Mam was a wonderful cook but a seamstress? nope, not on your Nellie. In the absence of fabric, she would root about and often ended up cutting up old curtains or a bedspread and fashion me something to wear.  The resulting clothing bore no resemblance to the lovely frocks Julie Andrews made from curtains in The Sound of Music, if they had sleeves I ended up looking like I was on a slant, and had to lean to one side to move my arms, she never managed sleeves very well.  On one occasion she decided to make me a beach tunic so I could wear it and not get sunburned.  I am a redhead, I have never, ever done sun very well and always, but always end up a very bright red, if I was a colour on

The little voice in my head

The little voice in my head that is my conscience, even when I would like it to be quiet. I have this little voice in my head a bit like Jimmany Cricket and Pinnochio, the one that when I am going to do something or decide something says, hang on, wait a minute if you do that, then all you have said about the other is hypocritical, can you live with that Missy? (the voice calls me Missy at these times). In this instance it is the General Election quandary I am in at the moment. I belong to our local Labour Party, I have joined every local Party when I moved house, I have been an active member, not just a supporter on elections, but always, the lobbying, the not so popular times, the leaflet drops, even when I would rather stay at home.  I don't support my Party's Leader, I love the manifesto in much the same way I love all good news and wish lists. It almost feels like the Party has sat down with a catalogue of good things we all want and need and has gone, I&

Mister, Van Gough and Gabrielle who was bitten by a rabid dog.

This is The Mister cat, he woke me this morning by doing a four footed splat onto my chest, when he does this I am never sure if I am either having a heart attack or Mr T has pounced on me while I sleep. The first is possible, the latter not so much, he sleeps like no one else I know. I get up, take my tablets which are growing in number by the week. I look like I have gone into the medication sweetie shop and ordered a quarter of mixed meds please.  They are all so pretty, no wonder kids take them instead of sweets. I have pills for inflammation, pills for blood pressure, for keeping my heart beat regular, pills for pain relief, deep shit pain relief pains that rip the shit out of my stomach lining, pills to help stop them doing that, pills for diabetes, pills for my bone pain, pills to dampen my immune system and the mega pills that are slowly swiping my autoimmune system out until even a sneeze could cause me to become infected and end up in A&E. Oh and the insulin pen th