Skip to main content

It is 3 days before Christmas, the house is decorated, the tree is all sparkly with lights, baubles and my old Venetian chandelier, which I have used as drops to catch the light. Atop the tree sits Pamela, she has sat on every tree since as long as I can remember and I am 59. Pamela has new wings, but has lost an arm over the years. Yet she still sits there in charge of the tree and all that is on it.

I love that she has seen all the Christmases of my youth, the excitement of me and my brother Trevor getting up at 4 in the morning, excited to see the few gifts my parents could afford and very happy to get a pillowcase full. I used to love the felt tip pens, the pencils, the colouring in books, the plastic dolls that one year had one that could walk and talk. The three wheelers then bicycles and the stocking with tangerine, selection box, chocolate coins in their little net bags and sweet tobacco sweets.
One year a doll's house, that I loved, complete with little lights and furniture.

The night before was the one night when going to bed was anticipated all day. I would go up with my stocking, me and my Mammy singing up the wooden hill to bed my dear, then followed by Jingle Bells.  I always said my prayers, then tried to sleep because of excitement. Then up and into my parent's bedroom shouting he's been!

I remember one year when my Granny had my bedroom, I  had to share with my big brother, Trevor, he is 10 yrs older than me and I looked up to him and loved him.  I swore I could hear Santa, I swore I could hear Rudolph, he picked me up and showed me the night sky and pointed out Santa and said he could see him too. This made me rush back to bed as everyone knew if you saw Santa on his way then you might not get presents, along with the naughty boys and girls.

We would rush downstairs to find the fire still in, bathing the room with a soft glow, the smell of the fire, the tree all beautiful and twinkly and the heap of presents. It was a truly magical time, I have never, ever lost the wonderment of Christmas and I never, ever will.

All the presents are wrapped and under the tree, Pamela is still sat on top of the tree, the lights are lit, the plastic coach and horses are next to her incase she needs to fly off someplace and it looks magical. This year it is just me and my husband Paul. He too loves the magic of Christmas and we shut the doors on Christmas Eve and it is just me and he until the day after Boxing Day.

We will have our usual scrambled eggs and salmon breakfast with Bucks Fizz, then open the presents and get on with preparing dinner. It is always the same, Paul would have a fit if I changed even a parsnip. Turkey, roast and boiled potatoes, carrots, sprouts with bacon, honey roasted parsnips and my Christmas gravy which involves oranges, wine, a dash of brandy and this and that, oh and of course, pigs in blankets and my orange, sausage meat and cranberry stuffing.  By this point we are stuffed with food and ready for cheese and biscuits and coffee while watching The Queen.

If we have any energy left, we go for a walk with the dogs, this year I cannot walk hardly any distance, so I will be on Ethel, my all terrain wheelchair.

Nearly all is ready, some last minute stocking fillers for himself and the veggies and small things to buy, the meat is ready to be picked up on Friday from Marks and Spencer and the butcher. I have baked a fruited yeast cake for himself, made mince pies, the most amazing chocolate truffles, a slab of Tiffin and some Spanish Turon.

It is all over the top, it is the one day we over indulge, we will have champagne for dinner, but we don't drink usually, so I will have to make sure the indigestion tablets are bought too.

Teatime is a turkey sandwich and nibbles, Boxing Day is turkey, chips, stuffing and pickles. Mr T will not deviate from this and I am not about to insist he does.  Christmas is all about tradition, it makes us feel safe, that some things don't change. That of family, home and feeling complete.

I hope everyone has the best Christmas, it isn't about the presents, it is about the time you spend with each other, the food made with love and Pamela will store all this in her little plastic head ready for next year and a repeat of it all over again.

Merry Christmas xxx

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas to you both have a lovely time xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a message, ask a question, post it here for answers.

Popular posts from this blog

Just another old fashioned love story

When I was little, that's younger not smaller, my Mam and Dad always seemed to be either in the throes of an argument, starting one or not speaking after having one.  When they had a row, my Mam would take herself off to the parlour and get her old Jones sewing machine out and make me clothes. Now, my Mam was a wonderful cook but a seamstress? nope, not on your Nellie. In the absence of fabric, she would root about and often ended up cutting up old curtains or a bedspread and fashion me something to wear.  The resulting clothing bore no resemblance to the lovely frocks Julie Andrews made from curtains in The Sound of Music, if they had sleeves I ended up looking like I was on a slant, and had to lean to one side to move my arms, she never managed sleeves very well.  On one occasion she decided to make me a beach tunic so I could wear it and not get sunburned.  I am a redhead, I have never, ever done sun very well and always, but always end up a very bright red, if I was a colour on

The little voice in my head

The little voice in my head that is my conscience, even when I would like it to be quiet. I have this little voice in my head a bit like Jimmany Cricket and Pinnochio, the one that when I am going to do something or decide something says, hang on, wait a minute if you do that, then all you have said about the other is hypocritical, can you live with that Missy? (the voice calls me Missy at these times). In this instance it is the General Election quandary I am in at the moment. I belong to our local Labour Party, I have joined every local Party when I moved house, I have been an active member, not just a supporter on elections, but always, the lobbying, the not so popular times, the leaflet drops, even when I would rather stay at home.  I don't support my Party's Leader, I love the manifesto in much the same way I love all good news and wish lists. It almost feels like the Party has sat down with a catalogue of good things we all want and need and has gone, I&

Welcome to the family

While our family photo's are rare, we would have put the Addams Family to shame, not that we all wore weird black outfits and my Dad certainly didn't rock a pinstripe suit and pencil, moustache.  The thought of my Mum and Dad doing the tango is just so far out of my experience it boggles my mind.  No, we looked, to the outside World as perfectly normal, however, the things we got up to when we were bored is a little odd. Sunday afternoons, especially rainy day ones, usually saw us all bored.  We had stuffed our faces on dinner and pudding, dishes done and a bag of sweets for us all,  The afternoon film was usually left unwatched while me and my dad sat doing the broadsheet crossword, me doing the checking for answers in the encyclopedia, I mean, who really knows names of obscure lakes and rivers in the Andes?  No Google then, just heaps of books everywhere, including a really old medical one that had graphic pictures of smallpox that I had written Trevor by the side of i